Labiaplasty Vaginal Plastic Surgery at New York Plastic Surgical Group
Labiaplasty is a cosmetic plastic surgery to rejuvenate the vaginal area for aesthetic or functional improvement. The skilled plastic surgeons at New York Plastic Surgical Group are experienced in performing labiaplasty and are committed to providing safe, compassionate, and effective care for patients throughout New York City at five locations in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Flushing, and Westchester.
Why Do Women Get Labiaplasty?
Women with large labia minora, which are the inner vaginal lips, may have a condition called labia minora hypertrophy which can be genetic or a result of aging, weight loss or childbirth. If inner labia droop below the labia majora, or outer lips, they can become irritated by certain clothing or cause discomfort during physical activities. Women may also seek labiaplasty to feel more confident in their bodies. Labiaplasty is a personal choice for patients who may wish to:
- Reduce labia size
- Achieve more symmetrical labia
- Restore confidence following childbirth
- Alleviate discomfort during intimacy
- Eliminate irritation during exercise and day-to-day activities
- Rejuvenate labia that sag due to weight loss or the effects of age
- Relieve pain caused by labia chafing or catching in certain clothing
How Does Labiaplasty Surgery Work?
A consultation is the first step in the process of labiaplasty surgery. Your plastic surgeon will perform an exam, review your medical history, and discuss your goals and expectations. The surgeon will answer any questions you have and, if you decide to proceed with labiaplasty, will develop your personalized treatment plan. Labiaplasty can safely be performed under general or local anesthesia.
There are two common surgical approaches for labiaplasty:
- Trim Procedure With this technique, the surgeon removes excess labial tissue and then sutures along the new edge of the labia.
- Wedge Procedure Using the wedge technique, the surgeon removes a triangle shaped section of tissue and then sutures the incision to reduce the size of the labia while preserving the natural labial edge.
Other Vaginal Rejuvenation Procedures Offered at New York Plastic Surgical Group
The main goal of vaginal rejuvenation surgery is typically to reduce inner labia, but there are additional procedures available to meet the needs of patients with a variety of vulva issues. At New York Plastic Surgical Group, procedures that may be performed in conjunction with labiaplasty include:
- Clitoral Hood Reduction to reduce disproportionate folds around the clitoral hood.
- Labia Majoraplasty to surgically reduce large outer labia.
- Monsplasty to lessen protrusion of the upper pubic mound.
- Vaginoplasty to restore a vaginal canals that has lost muscle tone due to childbirth or aging. may lose muscle tone overtime or due to childbirth.
Labiaplasty With a Mommy Makeover
Women who give birth, breastfeed, and raise children may experience frustration that the most wonderful events of their lives can also bring unwanted changes to their bodies. Patients who wish to restore their bodies to feel like they did pre-baby may choose to combine labiaplasty with other procedures, such as breast augmentation, breast lift, or liposuction, as part of a customized mommy makeover.
What is Recovery Like for Labiaplasty?
Labiaplasty patients typically are outpatient, and able to return home the day of their procedure. Swelling and tenderness are normal after surgery. Patients may also experience minor pain or discomfort that can be managed with medication. Labiaplasty patients typically return to work or day-to-day activities one week after surgery, and may return to exercise and sexual intercourse six weeks after surgery.
Is Labiaplasty Right For Me?
If you think labiaplasty may be right for you, the first step is to contact New York Plastic Surgical Group to schedule a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon. You may be a candidate for labiaplasty if you are in general good health and:
- You suffer physical discomfort during intimacy or exercise or due to hanging labia
- You experience diminished confidence from asymmetrical or excessively large labia
- You are unhappy with your labia due to changes from childbirth, aging, or weight loss
- You are seeking an aesthetic improvement of the vaginal area
Labiaplasty Results at New York Plastic Surgical Group
Learn more about the labiaplasty procedure in this video.
Imagine life with increased comfort and renewed confidence during intimacy. Contact us to learn more about labiaplasty or to schedule a consultation.